SCiO is the world's first affordable molecular sensor (priced at $249) that fits in the palm of your hand. Developed by Consumer Physics, SCiO is a tiny spectrometer that can tell you the chemical makeup of everything around you. Advanced algorithms rely on an updatable database to analyze the spectrum within milliseconds and deliver instant, specfic information about your sample directly to your smartphone.
SCiO can tell you the chemical makeup of food, plants, medications, oils, fuels, plastics, wood and much more. It can tell you:
- Nutritional facts about different kinds of food, including salad dressings, sauces, fruits, cheeses and more
- How ripe an avocado is, through the peel
- The quality of your cooking oil
- The well being of your plants
- About your soil or hydroponic solutions
- About medications or supplements
The developers are working on expanding the reaches of SCiO. In the future, it may be able to tell you the properties of cosmetics, clothes, flora, jewels and precious stones, leather, rubber, plastics, and even your pet!